Inland Marine Insurance  

If you own or manage a business, chances are good you need inland marine insurance coverage, a type of commercial property coverage that insures your company’s products, materials, and equipment.

What's with the Name?

The term "Inland Marine" can be a little confusing because, in actuality, it has nothing to do with boats. Originally, marine insurance was developed to protect major transport companies who typically moved their cargo via waterways. That specific type of property insurance became known as marine coverage. Inland marine coverage, on the other hand, covers moveable property for all sorts of businesses, including – but not limited to – cargo companies and movers.

What is Inland Marine Insurance?

Though the name can be confusing, inland marine insurance is essentially a broad type of property coverage for businesses who regularly move their own property around or whose work involves transporting their clients' belongings. Inland marine insurance coverage usually protects cargo, supplies, tools, or other items that your business uses at remote locations. For example:

  • A photographer might purchase inland marine insurance to make sure their expensive DSLR is protected when they're at an outdoor photo shoot.
  • A contractor or builder might purchase inland marine insurance to cover building materials on a building site.
  • A fine arts gallery might purchase inland marine coverage to insure paintings while they're on loan at a different gallery or museum.

Inland marine insurance tends to offer broader coverage than personal property insurance; it's designed specifically for property that goes on the road with you or your employees, and it provides more robust protection against risks away from your office or storefront.

Who Needs Inland Marine Insurance?

If you ever take your property (or your client's) on the move for any reason, think about how that property's loss or damage would affect your business. If you think you might need inland marine insurance but you're not entirely sure, take the time now to talk to an insurance agent about what type of commercial property insurance would best keep your business's assets protected.

Choose WSMT Insurance for Your Inland Marine Insurance Needs

WSMT has offered comprehensive inland marine insurance coverage for years, so we’re well prepared to answer all of your questions. Whether you have commercial insurance coverage with us or with another insurer, feel free to call or stop by our office to find out more about keeping your business's belongings protected.

Inland Marine Insurance